Proceeds benefit Hunting Island State Park’s Discover Carolina program, a hands-on, curriculum-based instruction program for 3rd, 5th, and 7th grade students in Beaufort County schools. Participating students visit Hunting Island to learn about the ecology of a semi-tropical barrier island. More than 3,000 3rd, 5th, and 7th graders have participated in this unique educational program.
New Year's Day Pelican Plunge returning to Hunting Island
The annual Hunting Island Pelican Plunge is returning to north beach on New Year’s Day, January 1st, 2020, starting at Noon.
Join friends and neighbors as we plunge into the refreshing waters of the Atlantic on New Year’s Day. Organized by the fine folks at Friends of Hunting Island State Park, participants will be able to enjoy hot drinks and lunch, a steel drum bands’ mores and lots more. Plungers can warm up by chimenea fires on the beach and everyone can have fun the costume parade, which has gotten more outrageous every year.
Past years have seen hundreds and hundreds of costumed Plungers and many more spectators cheering them on. (and we’ve been among them)
Registration is now open! You can sign up for the Pelican Plunge by visiting http://www.friendsofhuntingisland.org/
- Registration is at 12 Noon, Plunge at 1 PM
- Register online and receive your ticket via email
- Each registrant receives an “I Took the Plunge” sticker and two coupons worth $1 each to purchase refreshments— hot cocoa, and coffee
- Souvenir Pelican Plunge T-shirts will be on sale at the gift shop
- Park entry fee is not included in the registration fee, however, January 1, 2020, is the last day to use your 2019 Friends of Hunting Island decal for park entry
- Purchase your 2020 membership and decal at the Pelican Plunge
The Pelican Plunge is one of our favorite annual events. Proceeds benefit Hunting Island State Park’s beach and trail maintenance and the conservation and support of its wildlife. Ask us about our sea turtle conservation program, which protects the sea turtles who nest on Hunting Island each year.