Do your immune system a favor and eat more oysters
Packed with zinc and other key vitamins and minerals, Beaufort South Carolina’s Lowcountry Oysters have some of the highest levels of zinc of any food.
According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), this bivalve is a zinc powerhouse that packs in 5.5 mg per raw oyster. That means 1 oyster gets you 50 percent of the recommended amount of zinc — making oysters an excellent source of the mineral.
Everyday Health says that a healthy amount of zinc in your diet has been linked to an improved immune system and faster wound healing. This local shellfish is also low in calories, with only 7 calories per oyster, and is packed with other valuable vitamins and minerals, including vitamin B12 and selenium, per the USDA.
Oyster season in South Carolina runs from September through April so if the month has an “R” in it, you’ll find fresh harvests.
Here are a few our our favorite local spots where you can buy fresh, local seafood in Beaufort, South Carolina…
- Sea Eagle Market: 2149 Boundary St, Beaufort, SC 29902
- Ocean To Fork Seafood: 381 Sea Island Pkwy, Beaufort, SC
- Port Royal Farmers Market: 1615 Ribaut Rd Port Royal
- CJ Seafood Express: 1421 Ribaut Rd, Port Royal, SC 29935
- Sea Eagle Market at Village Creek: 34 Hallmark Rd, St Helena, SC 29920
- Highway 21 Seafood: 3438 Trask Pkwy, Beaufort, SC 29906
Now, go on Beaufort friends and let’s get crackin’ to all stay healthy in 2021!