Find some treasure at St. Peters Fall Bazaar
By Mary Ellen Thompson | St. Peter’s Catholic Church on Lady’s Island is hosting its popular Fall Bazaar on Saturday morning. The event has been going on a number of years, but then again, so has the church. St. Peter’s first church in Beaufort was built in 1846. In the early days of St. Peter’s, the first priests arrived by train Saturday afternoon and took a horse-drawn hack from the depot to the Sea Island Hotel, from there they walked all over town to tell of Mass the next day.
Their current location on Lady’s Island occupies 35 acres of land and the 5200 square foot church was built in 1987 at which time the parish had 572 families and about 1000 individuals registered.
Presently, there are 1508 families and almost 4000 registered parishioners.
St. Peters Catholic Church’s annual Fall Bazaar benefits the general fund of the church and always has something for everyone. There’s a huge White Elephant tent, a plant sale, a room full of treasures, and a silent auction. The jewelry, clothing and accessories number over 600 pieces, the silent auction has wonderful finds including crystal, a vintage Stetson hat, furniture and rugs, a vase made from a 50mm shell casing, a scrimshaw Eskimo knife, a bicycle built for two, all manner of pieces of art including a vintage Elvis movie poster, and with over 400 items, way too many other things to describe.
Stop into the bazaar on Saturday at 9am and see some of it for yourself.
For a preview of some of the treasures available in Saturday’s Bazaar, see the photos below. Click on each for a larger image.